Friday, September 2, 2011

Emptying the Mind

I’m currently reading Skywriting By Word of Mouth by John Lennon

Not too far into it yet, but it’s really great. Tons of insight into such an intelligent, creative mind, and filled with Lennon’s witty, tongue-in-cheek humor on every page.

Anyway, last night, I came across the following passage:

“I was talking to Helen (well, at Helen, really), and as usual I found myself on the defensive about “mystics.” I didn’t get too frantic for a change. Anyway, I found myself saying something like the following – that many, if not all, great men and women were “mystics” in a sense: Einstein, who at the end of his life remarked that if he had it to do over, he would have spent more time on the spiritual; Pythagoras and Newton were mystics. But the main point I was getting at was the fact that in order to receive the “wholly spirit,” i.e. creative inspiration (whether you are labeled an artist, scientist, mystic, psychic, etc.), the main “problem” was emptying the mind.

You can’t paint a picture on dirty paper; you need a clean sheet.”

He goes on to talk about famous artists who went crazy trying to break the “straightjacket” of their own minds to get to that wholly spiritual place of creation. This is so interesting, and gave me pause to consider the different layers of spirituality inherent in all of us.

Something to work toward discovering, anyway. To strive toward reaching that pinnacle and finding the way to empty the mind, as he calls it. Lots to consider here. A new array of options, and possibilities. Potential. Reading this felt quite like opening an unexpected present. Thanks, Lennon.:)

1 comment: